Friday, January 25, 2008

1/25/08 10:00am

Good morning family! Bill here....(that is my way of letting you know that this post will not be as eloquent or technically accurate as you have become used to from Janet.... :))

Erin had a good day yesterday. Ate well, walked 8 laps, and had some visitors to brighten her day! I understand Dr. Ken and Dr. Rip stopped by while making rounds yesterday and prescribed M&Ms twice daily or as often as needed. Rumor has it they were hoping to sit in on the Emory doctor's weekly team meeting and provide some new treatment recommendations. Erin had another fairly restful night although she is experiencing a general achiness all over that she describes as "bone pain". There were no episodes of seeing "things, people, or gifts" in the room last night although I did overhear Erin saying something about someone "being in the market for something". I think she may have gone shopping in her dreams!!

The really good news today is that her WBC is up from .9 to 1.3 today!!
For those of you, like me, that may not be familiar with some of the medical shorthand that has been mentioned in various postings, here are a couple key measures the doctors have been looking at :

WBC = White Blood Cell - these fight infection & regulate the immune system - normal count range is 4.5 - 11

Platelets - help stop bleeding by helping form clots - normal platelet count range is 150 -300 (Erin had been at 13 a couple days ago and is currently at 40)

RBC = Red Blood Cell -these carry oxygen throughout the body - measured in terms of H&H below
HCT (Hematocrit) - normal range 37-47% - Erin is at 25.4%
HgB (Hemoglobin) - normal range 12-16 - Erin is at 9.3%

The praise is that in general it looks like Erin's numbers are starting to improve and that is important in getting us closer to a release date for Erin to go home!!

As always, we praise God for providing us with such a faithful and strong support group as we have found in all of you and we thank each of you for sharing in this journey with us! I know this verse has been posted previously, but it is my favorite and it has been a source of great comfort to me: "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Blessings - Bill

17 comments:

Sarah said...

If I were receiving regular visits from Dr. Rip... I might end up sicker. Because I would laugh myself into hysterics, which I guess would send me to the "other" ward

Keep up the good recovery and eat an M&M for me.

Anonymous said...

Verse for today:

"God has given us these times of JOY."
-Psalm 81:4

Yes, you heard correctly, JOY! Joy that you are healing, joy that your numbers are up, joy that you don't have to go to yucky school right now, joy that you have me as a friend (i'm so modest...hahaha), joy that we have an amazing God, joy that you are blessed by so many loved ones, joy that you are blessing so many others, joy JOY JOY JOY!

I'm bringing you a very cool present this weekend...something I did and felt very artsy while doing. And again, no I will not tell you so don't bug me...Erin, seriously, not telling you...STOP ERIN! I will NOT tell you!

Ok, maybe later...

Monica

Unknown said...

Erin,

I am so happy to hear that your numbers are steadily increasing everyday and hopefully you will get to go home soon. I am sure you want to sleep in your own bed for a change.

Yesterday I was on my way back from Asheville and I heard a song on the radio that reminded me of you, "Big Yellow Taxi". I think that you really used to like that song in high school or something like that, but you popped into my mind!!

I miss you sweetheart and have your on my heart today! Keep your chin up!

Love, Amy

Anonymous said...

Good job Uncle Bill on the medical terms in-service!
You can now be part of the "I know almost as much as a nurse" club!
Actually, you have the gift, you could be a nurse. You have more patience and love than most nurses.
(I'm a nurse dear blogger friends, so I know these things :)) You can even clean up dirty messes as good as any nurse. You cleared away that old dead turtle you guys tried to feed me for dinner!! AND that smell was even worst than what Uncle Ron likes to produce every morning!!
Alrighty, keep those numbers climbing! Love your guts too! (that's nurse talk for "I love your guts" ) Aunt Debbie

Anonymous said...

Precious and Glorious GOD!!!…THANK YOU FATHER….for the blessing regarding Erin’s blood counts!!!. Father, continue to heal her …Father, continue to bring the blood counts up….Father, in an amazing and miraculous fashion….let her doctors be in awe of the power of YOUR mighty hand…the power of the BLOOD OF CHRIST JESUS….our friend…our redeemer …our healer…….Lord, continue to be with these precious friends…Father, let them be amazed more and more …day by day….at the constant presence of YOU in this situation….in the things going on around them…..Lord, we know that Erin longs for the opportunity to go home…and we so want her to be able to do that when the time is right…Father, until the time is right, lighten the load that she feels ….take away the cabin fever…..and give her a double portion of YOUR precious peace today….Father, give her time to rest now…so that when she is home…..and in her own space…that she finds herself rested and ready for the multitude of visitors who are just itching to get their arms around her and hug her….to share time with her…to hold her hands and to comfort her…to bring her laughter…and smiles…..Father, continue to be with Janet and Bill…..as parents…we can’t imagine what they are going through right now….we can’t imagine the strain they are feeling in this time….individually and together…but Lord, we ask YOU for a special touch for them today…for special moments and special thoughts for them today Lord…that as they travel this road together, as man and wife… caring for their child during this trial….Lord…strengthen their ties today….strengthen their hearts today…..Lord, let them know…that as parents….we will stand by them…in constant prayer…ever vigilant for their child….as they have been for our children during the many years that they have given to our youth….Lord…let them know that we will continue to lift them up as we lift their daughter…our sister…..surround them all Father…with Your perfect precious love…..IN JESUS’ MIGHTY MIGHTY NAME…..AMEN…………

Margaret said...

Hello everyone!

Thank you Bill for the "Medical Terminology for Dummies!" I now think I'm as well educated as those two beloved quacks...I mean doctors! I understand from JoEllen Dr. Ken and Dr. Rip came dressed for the part with official lab coats and accessories...I mean medical equipment! Boy, I didn't know Wal-Mart sold that kind of stuff.

Erin, I'm so glad to hear the good news that your numbers are improving, and your going home to recover is getting closer! I bet if you eat all the M&M's prescribed by your Chief Resident Quacks you will be home before you know it!

It was AWESOME to see JoEllen last night. She made my night! She loves you so much. You could tell be the way she spoke about you, and by her simple request to not hold her hand when we circled up to pray if you were germy because she said she would just die if she couldn't come down to see you!

I hope and pray you continue to improve today.

Love you all!
Margaret, Pete, Kate and Kara

Anonymous said...

hey erin!
keep your spirits up! don't get in a funk!!

I have this in a frame on my desk:

What cancer cannot do:

It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot eat away peace
It cannot destroy confidence
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot shut out memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot reduce eternal life
It cannot quench the spirit


have a good day!
ellen

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear that your numbers are going up and that you are getting your exercise!

Also, I think prescribed M&Ms are a great idea but only if they are the peanut butter kind!

See you soon!

Love,
Jennifer

Unknown said...

Hi Sweet Erin,
I just love getting updates from your Mom and Dad. Janet and Bill.....THANKS for keeping all of us in the loop. I look forward to reading your Blog every day so that I can pray specific prayers for Erin. I know He hears all of us!!!! Erin, even though we can't be there to hug you in person, I hope you can feel all the hugs via Blog!!!! We love you so much and are amazed at God's holy work in you. Keep increasing those numbers and you'll be home soon. M & M's are great, but Oreos and milk are my favorite. Either way, we know chocolate is certainly a perfect way to a girl's heart. Keep your spirit high, your smile wide and let your heart soar . Miss you lots!!!!
Love, prayers and Blessings,
Janice Lutz

Anonymous said...

Erin,

Kristie told us that you were at Emory the first of the month. We have been following your blog daily and just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Delane & Chris

brittanydyan said...

Erin- Will and I are praying for God to heal you every day. Our friend from Zambia, Lawrence, sent me an email today asking me how you were doing and saying that he and his wife, Martha are praying for you!

Praise God for rising numbers! How nice it will be to go home soon! For now, enjoy your visitors and keep walking those courageous laps. You are inspiring me and countless others.

Love you!

Brittany

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin!

Congrats on getting those numbers up! Keep up the good work. I'm a medical fanatic; I've always wanted to be a doctor when I grow up. Because of this dream and my undying love for Grey's Anatomy, I actually knew what WBC, platlets, etc were. Haha.

I heard this the other day- I have no idea who wrote it or said it, but I like it! "Mile by mile it's a trial; yard by yard it's hard; but inch by inch it's a cinch!"

Keep pulling inch by inch, and keep praying. God can and will pull you through. Love you girl! Come home soon- I'm dying to see you!

Love you tons, Lauren

Glenn said...

Hey Erin -

We missed your Dad at breakfast this morning - but we rejoice that he was with you and that you are celebrating renewal and good reports. We prayed for all of you this morning (after we ate our biscuits) that healing might be real to each of you.

Now we understand that some call us a small men's group (we won't say who but her initials are Vicki Still) but we small men have big prayers and you are all in the forefront of our petitions to God.

Blessings on each of you.

Our love -

Glenn
for your Dad's small men's group

Stephen Sykes said...

hey erin, glad to hear you're feeling better. It' really good to hear about your good cell counts. Im glad to know that they're coming back up. We are praying that you're healed soon and you can go home. It's gotta be really boring being in the same spot for so long. I found the perfect plan for our next tent-http://www.fahad.com/pics/world_biggest_tent_astana.jpg. Anyway, hope you have a good day tommorow and a good rest of the weekend.

Stephen Sykes

Denise L. said...

Hey Erin,
Just want to let you know you continue to be unceasingly in my thoughts and prayers. I look forward to coming to see you soon. I can't wait to see your beautiful smiling face! Keep raising those numbers up. I know you can do it because you have such an amazing gift of building everyone else around you up. Love you so much!!!
:)Denise

Anonymous said...

I believe there is some mistake my name is Butz, Dr. Seymore Butz!

Sleep well my dear as more prescriptions are on the way. I still have some work for my partner Dr. Ken and I to complete on the "new" formula for getting you home!

Love ya,

Dr. Butz

Anonymous said...

Hey there Kiddo. I couldn't agree more with your mom "OH THE POWER OF PRAYER!!! I pray for you several times a day because simply . . . I know it works.

Please thank Uncle Bill for that medical lesson,very encouraging numbers. I too like that verse, there's that "PLAN" mentioned again. I keep thinking that as tough as this might be for you, it is all part of the plan our Lord & Savior has in store for your future. Please keep journaling while it's all fresh in your mind. Write down every raw feeling & thought as you go along. It will give you what what you'll need for your book that will no doubt serve to glorify our God.

Now as to the bald thang, I think you're on to something. You have a golden opportunity to start a trend this summer in Clayton that we'll help you with if the hair is still gone. We'll all wear a t-shirt that will have a picture of you wearing that dazzling smile and a shiny bald head on the front. The caption below the picture will say "IT'S A GREEN THANG". The back will say:
*No more hair spray to pollute the ozone
*No more shampoo to pollute the groundwater and
*No more hair drier to use senseless energy.

What do you think Miss Erin. Kyle, the man of the hour, is already on board to help you with this :0)

I love you kiddo. Keep eating and keep exercising to get your strength back up while you have a break from that nasty chemo and as always keep you toes UP (not straight like aunt Debbie says), your knees bent, and your arms straight as you dream of the great fun we are all going to have this summer at the lake.