Friday, February 1, 2008

2/1/2008 9:30 am

Greetings dear friends - Bill here...

This morning I decided to focus on the word "hope" as I was reading the Bible. So, before I provide an Erin update, a few words from our sponsor...

"There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off." - Proverbs 23:18

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Today we are joyful in the hope that Erin will soon be able to go home for a break. We are joyful that Erin is disconnected from the IV pumps, that her energy is up, her pain is down and her smile is radiant!! Yesterday Andrew visited and encouraged / prodded Erin to excel by walking her mile PLUS an additional lap. Way to go Andrew! We did watch LOST last night and I have to say that I am as lost as ever! So I would appreciate it if one of you fans out there could explain it to me sometime :))

Yesterday evening we were visited by 3 of the doctors on the team and they indicated that Erin was right on track with the treatment plan and they reviewed what the expected next steps would be. I thought since you all have been taking this journey with us that you might want to know. When Erin's ANC comes up to 500 she will be able to go home. Her platelets are already at an acceptable level now! She has to have the bone marrow biopsy (BMB) on Monday regardless of where her counts are but our prayer is that her counts are up at that time. If the counts are not up on Monday then Erin will have to get an additional BMB in a week. Our hope is that on Monday her counts are up and the BMB will show no Leukemia so they can declare Erin to be in remission! The doctors said that the break is usually a week and then Erin will come back to the hospital for the 2nd round of chemo. Erin was a little disappointed at the shortness of the break but is just happy about being able to go home. The second round will be similar to the first (8 days of treatment plus 3 weeks recovery in the hospital). After that treatment the doctors will evaluate to determine if Erin needs a bone marrow transplant. We pray that she will not need the transplant. If that's the case, she will get another break followed by 3 additional treatment cycles (5 days followed by a break, 5 days followed by a break, and a final 4 day cycle). Hopefully the recovery breaks would be at home. That is the standard protocol assuming her results continue to be good.

Just got Erin's WBC and it is 1.1. So, we're still bouncing around a little and trying to patiently wait for them to take off. Okay, Janet says I am too long winded, so I will close for now. Meanwhile, thank you for accompanying us on this journey, for your encouragement and your faithful prayers!! - Bill

One quick note from me, people have been asking about becoming a bone marrow donor. If you go to marrow.org you can order a kit online for $52 and they send you a swab to get cells from the inside of your cheek, easy and painless!! If you feel led, check it out. You may be a hero for someone, if not Erin. Love your guts, janet

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver."
-Proverbs 25:11

I love your guts even more Mrs. Janet!

What's the challenge of the day? Maybe I can try too!

-Monica

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of hope and one of my favorites came to me. After reading my letter, I know it kind of makes you wonder but...when my kids used to say I can't
I used to sing Just what makes that little ol ant....
high hopes-what a blessing the Lord has provided us to know that through Him, there are no limits of what can be done-Erin get those numbers up girl we are all pulling for you.
xo
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Bill & Janet & Family -
Good hopeful news - we are all looking forward to knowing that Erin is finally going to be home for a while - enjoying a break from the hospital!! Just as additional information - here in St. Pete, if you donate blood through the Florida Blood Services, they will do the bone marrow test for free and put you on the registry. Just need to call in an appointment ahead of time - and they are open 6 days a week. All of the McBee family members are making appointments for next week. Not sure if other bloodbanks make the same offer. All of you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers many, many times each day!! Love, Aunt Sherry

Jack and Lexi's Mom said...

I'll call Erin's name in my church, too. We will have the whole world praying for her.
Love,
Jennifer Smith

Glenn said...

HOPE
What a wonderful gift God has bestowed upon us with "HOPE". One of my very favorite passages tells us how God has constructed hope in our being.

Romans 5:1-5
".....and we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so,but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has pured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom he has given us."

As I read the blog daily I see so much of Paul's formula for hope playing out in Erin's life. And the character part - well, there are plenty of "characters" surrounding her. But I digress.

Years ago in my ministry days I served near a wonderful Christian Educator who had a saying I've used for many years now - Bob often said that "we hope things into being". How wonderful is that! We shall all- through the power of the Holy Spirit - hope Erin and all you Blonshines into health and well being.

Know again that this morning a group of small men have offered up prayers of strength and hope for each of you.

JOY!

Glenn

Anonymous said...

hey there!
I am SO PUMPED you get to go home!
now I'm rooting for REMISSION!
WOOP WOOP!

LOVE YOU ERIN!
ellen

Anonymous said...

Praying for remission today...for numbers going up ....and for hope to remain constant in your hearts....Erin...You're doing great...keep your chin up sister...continuing to pray for you all!!!

Anonymous said...

Erin!

I'm so excited to hear that you're coming home soon! Our prayers are being answered, girl! Keep those numbers rising, and I'll be here praying for you and rooting you on. I love you so much.

As Mr. Moore was saying, I have been offered a position on the Moore-Butz team. I'm still considering this, due to my crazy and hectic schedule right now. However, if this means being able to visit you and cheer your fellow patients up, I'm all for it! And I do require that my name is first in the line-up. :) So you'll possibly be getting a visit from the Blessing-Moore-Butz team real soon.

Mr Blonshine, I attempted to watch LOST as well, and I became so 'lost', I had to have my mom help me through the remainder of the show. :)

Erin, stay strong. I love you to the stars and back, and I'm praying for remission. Go Erin, go!

--Love, Lauren

The Stills said...

Bill, I've watched LOST for a long time and I felt LOST last night too, mostly trying to figure out if each scene was present past or future! But I'm not giving up!

Erin, WE LOVE YOU and are praying mighty hard that all your numbers go up so you can come home.

"Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another, and the Lord listened and heard them.." Malachi 3:16

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin,

I am so glad to hear the news of going home and your platelets being at an acceptable level. I watched Lost last night as well it was pretty good but I was confused just like the rest of ya'll. Continue to be strong and I am always thinking of you and praying for you.

Courtney

Anonymous said...

"Be of good courage and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord."
Psalm 31:24
I'm so thankful for the hope we have, I don't know how anyone can endure this world without faith!
Keep doing your laps Erin, come on Erin you can do it, put a little power to it! That's me cheering you on!
xoxox Aunt Debbie

The Petersons said...

Miss Erin,
So, do you feel like you're floating yet? I figured you must be since so many folks are "lifting you up" in prayer!! (LOL) And, we will NOT cease, so put up the hospital bed side rail, navigate through your world prayer map, brace yourself and enjoy the "flight". At least, that part of it, anyway. And of course, the soon-to-be ride home will be a welcome destination!

As for the Blessing-Moore-Butz team, the only thing that is giving them any credibility is the addition of the Blessing name. Without that, Moore-Butz can forget it (I mean, excuse me for this comment, but who needs more "junk in their trunk", anyway?!). Lauren, you need to make sure you get at least 51% of that practice during your negotiations, because without you, I'm not sure they'll have a prayer (or a Blessing). And Erin, beware not to overdose on those M&M's (come to think of it, is that even possible?).

Have a good night and weekend with lots of zzz's, good spirits, many laps, positive blood counts and answered prayers.

Love and hugs to you and your family,
~The Petersons

Anonymous said...

Dear Erin,
I hope you get a break. You deserve it! I am still praying for you and want you to get better! We all love you!

-Parker

Anonymous said...

I don't know Erin but I really wanted to leave some encouragement as someone who is going through the fight with leukemia as well, and as another person who is praying for her. I was diagnosed back in July with a type of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and I know that something that always gave me hope was just knowing that people were praying for me... and how God listens to the prayers of His people. It is tough but God does heal, not always through instant miracles like we want but also through the doctors and medicine that is available. I hope and pray that your good news of complete remission comes soon. I think it is wonderful that your family is continually praising God through this, don't ever stop.

Also, I'd just like to add about the bone marrow donor program, that not only the test but also if you are a match the donating process is also a non-evasive procedure, it wouldn't be too much differently than donating blood.

-Mark Tarbutton

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say hey and tell you guys I am thinking about you! Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us all! You, Erin, are a strong woman who can set forth and conquer! I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

MARK TARBUTTON.....

Brother, I just want to take a minute to tell you thank you for your inspiring words of encouragement!!...What a sweetheart you are!!!...I'm adding you to my prayer list, and I'm sure the other wonderful folks in this group will as well...God Bless YOU Mark Tarbutton!!!

Lord, Bless Mark Tarbutton...as he travels the path before him...Lord, give him strength where he needs it...patience and peace in times of concern....Lord, guide his doctors and nurses as they care for him....and Lord, lead them to follow YOU ..that he may be renewed and refreshed in his healing process....Father, let YOUR precious Holy Spirit surround him today and bring to him a new sense of YOUR perfect peace.....IN JESUS' NAME.....AMEN.....

Anonymous said...

"A Song of Hope"

My Life is in Thee, O Inner Presence.
I look upon Thee and hope springs forth into relization.
O Hope within me, undying evidence of Good,
Thou dost completely hold me in Thy loving embrace,
And from this fond caress assurance shall be born, and cofidence and love.
My hope is in Thee.

Holmes)

Keeping you in my prayers.
Love you, Ms June